Pae Gyi Hnut is one of the well known side dishes of Burma. Pae Gyi refers to lablab beans and Hnut is the style of cooking used for this dish. It is something like simmering the beans with all the ingredients added in. The taste is so delicious and it is good to go with beef or chicken marsala. Cooking steps are pretty simple (just that a little patient is required to remove the skin off :D) and not many ingredients are needed.
- 1 1/2 cup of Lablab beans
- 1 tsp of salt
- 2 tbsp of corn oil
- 1/4 tsp of sugar
- crispy fried shallot to sprinkle (I used ready-made as laziness mode turns on-LOL)
- 4 cups of water
- 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder
- Soak the beans in the water over night and this will help to remove the skin easily off on the next day.
- Place the beans (skin off) and all the ingredients except crispy fried shallot in a pot.
- Cover with the lid and simmer for about 50 minutes or till the beans are cooked.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with crispy fried shallot. Ready to serve, enjoy!!