I made these cookies for our breakfast and recipe was adapted from Joy of baking. Original recipe called for Cocoa powder but I omit it and chocolate rice were added instead. The dough was prepared since yesterday evening and I left it in the fridge overnight. So, in this morning, I just need to do slicing and baking them in the oven , that's all. Overall result was OK, but I found these cookies are a little too sweet for me. May be it was due to additional Chocolate rice that I added.Next time I should reduce the amount of sugar to the half of original recipe.
Here is the recipe (yield about 40 cookies)
- 1 1/2 cup of all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp of baking soda
- 90 grams of butter (soften, at room temp)
- 240 grams of brown sugar (recommend to half the amount if you can't take too sweet stuffs)
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- Mix all the dry ingredients together, set aside.
- In a mixer, beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla extract and egg white and beat for another 1 mins on high speed.
- Add dry ingredients mixture and mix well using spatula.
- Separate the dough into two portion and shape them into ~9 inch ,diameter 1 1/2 inch logs
- Carefully wrap the dough in parchment paper and twist the end. Chill it in the fridge at least one hour or overnight.
- Slice the dough into 5mm thick wafers and bake them in 180C preheated oven for about 14 mins.
- Leave in the baking tray for about 5 mins before transferring onto wire rack.
- Let them cool completely on the wire rack and store in air tight container. Ready to serve, Enjoy!