Finally, I can manage to bake a sponge cake after failing (badly)2 times. :-) . Yayy. Baking a sponge cake is relatively easy , I thought, but realize I was absolutely wrong after failing twice. I was so disappointed with the result. It was due to my poor handling skill especially whipping the eggs and folding in method of the flour. I followed sponge cake method by HHB, however it didn't turn out well. The base of the cake was so hard as a slab of a rubber and I never experience this before. Was it due to over whipping of the eggs or deflation of the batter while folding in flour or both? I simply have no idea.
But I noticed my whipped eggs are different from HHB's and having a lot of air bubbles. The texture was quite different . Then, I looked for sponge cake recipes on YouTube and some video showed they whip egg yolks and egg whites separately. I decided to follow the method and try my luck again. It works!!! This time, the cake looks fine although it is slightly dense. I need to be more gentle next time while folding in flour and should add 1 tsp of baking powder as well.
Ingredients (Cake recipe is adapted from HHB's birthday cake)
- 3 Egg whites , 3 Egg yolks(at room temperature)
- 20gms of melted butter
- 80 gms of sugar
- 100 gms of cake flour (sifted)
- 2 Tbs of milk
- 1tsp of vanilla extract
- In a mixer,whisk egg yolks until smooth and creamy. After 1 minute, add 2 Tbs of sugar and vanilla extract and continue to mix until thick mixture is formed. Transfer the mixture into a bowl and set aside.
- Whisk egg whites until white and frothy. Add remaining sugar and continue to mix until stiff.
- Fold in number (1)into egg white mixture gently.
- Add the cake flour (I separated it into 2 batches to add) followed by melted butter and milk into the batter .Mix well after each addition. Pls take care not to deflate the mixture.
- Pour the batter into 18cm baking pan (round) and bake in 180 degree C preheated oven for 30 mins.
- Remove from oven and leave it to cool.
- Slice the cake and serve.